Saturday, January 15, 2011

Spaghetti Squash Spaghetti

Wow, what a baby I am when it comes to being sick! A little cheese with your whine? Haha, well sorry! I have a little joy to make up for it. Spaghetti Squash! My New Year's resolution (along with the rest of America) was to get into better shape and that (at least for me) involves eating a wider variety of foods.


Aren't they cute?


 In steps Spaghetti Squash, a carb replacement option so named after its unique spaghetti like strands that flake off when its cooked.  After some difficulty I cut mine in half, put it in a glass dish with 1/4 cup of water and popped it in the microwave for around 12 minutes.  Then in my awesome cast iron pan I heated some garlic in oil, added a can of diced tomatoes, some halved fresh cherry tomatoes, salt, pepper, sugar, Parmesan cheese, etc. and let it simmer.  When the squash was cool enough to handle I used a fork to flake it into spaghetti strands and added it to the sauce. I topped it with fresh basil and more Parmesan before promptly devouring a quarter of it. Yum!




Its a little crisp, or I over cooked mine. And its orange, so it has to be good for you. (Like that logic?) And its yummy and at least two full servings of vegetables! Go me! The new year is looking delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment