Monday, October 4, 2010

First Art Journal Page: Soul Sparrow

I remember the long drive to my grandma's house when I was little. As the city gave way to open desert hawks soared the pale blue sky. They always looked so at peace, separate from the world. Somehow I got it into my head that they were messengers carrying words from our hearts through the heavens. Little do they know the inspiration they planted in the heart of a child.

So, with that in mind here is the first page of my art journal. I don't have a full shot yet because I couldn't get the lighting right and it was washing out the colors. I'll try again with natural light but until then here are some details. Enjoy! :)

Soul Sparrow




I used water colors, gold metallic marker, wrapping paper, ribbon, stamps, colored tissue paper, markers, inks, glue, and embossing  powder on this page. All in all it took me a good three solid hours to put what was in my head down on paper. I love how bright and vibrant the colors are and how they blend into one another.





This is my Soul Sparrow.
:)



Can you feel the twilight sky in this image? The gold detail is from heated embossing powder which I outlinned with markers.










I used ribbon and tissue paper to make the cloud. I like to add touchy feely to my art.



So, now that I've put this up I have to go take a picture of the complete page because all these little pieces just aren't cutting it. I hope you got a good glimpse of some of the details. If you have any questions or comments please feel free. I think I'll put a few notes up about some of the techniques I used because as I surf different blogs I notice that a lot of art journals are missing embossing which is awesome! I mean, its metal, its shiny (okay, that's the main reason) it adds depth, and sparkle, and texture, to pages and its relatively inexpensive. *end nerd excitement*

No comments:

Post a Comment