Wednesday, October 13, 2010

To Emboss or not to Emboss

that is the question...

and this is the answer: YES!

 Do you like pretty? Shiny? Touchable? Cheap? (I promise this is not a hair care commercial!) Then you would probably love embossing. I use it on almost every page and it makes me happy - like icecream happy, happy. (that's pretty happy!)   There are some good examples on my Fire on the Hills of Los Angeles page, but here's another if you're too lazy to go back - I would be. :)




This has already been embossed. See the texture? I love it!


How do you do this wonderous thing! You may ask. Its not hard, you can do it too. All you need is a paper to emboss on, a heat gun, an ink pad, and some embossing powder. An extra piece of scrap paper or two doesn't hurt to make sure the powder gets back into the bottle.


This is the embossing powder I'm currently using. I think I got it for 3 bucks at the local craft store.


Using a stamp or some other means (my favorite includes direct to paper from pad) apply ink. Before the ink dries pour your powder over it. Make sure you have another paper beneath your art piece to catch anything that spills... or maybe you don't need one and I'm just clumsy. :)








After you've tapped off the excess you'll have a thin line of pretty gold (or whatever color you choose) powder. Don't get all excited and touch it yet you still need to heat it. Fire up your gun and get to heating! I hear that you can use a blow dryer but I've never tried. I've also heard that you could hold it over the stove but something about fire and paper and..me.. doesn't sound right. So I use my heat gun. I start about 6 inches away and get closer if I need to. Be careful because it can make the page curl. I haven't noticed anything that a little uncurling doesn't fix, but I thought I should warn you.







And there you have it! Your own shiny happy touchable pretties. Enjoy! :-)

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Rae, Thanks for stopping by my blog. I got my background from blogblings.com. I really like their backgrounds.

    Emboss or not to emboss? I say emboss away. I love shiny things. I maybe use emboss too much.

    Anyway, nice hearing from you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hideyho, nice to see you. Thanks for commenting. I'm going to go check out that site right meow, thanks!

    ReplyDelete